Mighty Thoughts

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Taste of success


It was a cold dark evening in Stockholm, Sweden, middle of winter, thousands of people had gathered. After a long loud round of applause and a moment of silence… these words followed… “I've always believed in numbers and the equations and logic that lead to reason. It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logic or reasons can be found.”

Friends…

The occasion was the 1994 Nobel Prize ceremony when John Nash, "a beautiful mind" was delivering the acceptance speech after winning the Nobel Prize for economics. John Nash, a paranoid schizophrenic, had crossed many odds and stood the test of time to prove himself to the world. Can you imagine how sweet success would have tasted to him at that moment?

I was watching the Oscar night couple of weeks back and was lost in thoughts.

My mind was echoing the lines “This moment is so much bigger for me. This moment is so much bigger for me”. These were the words an emotional Hally Berry said with tears after winning the academy award for the Best actress in 2002. She was the first African American to win an academy award in that category. Can you imagine how sweet success would have tasted to her at that moment?

My mind was also echoing the lines “Honda produces more cars than Toyota”. Let me take a minute here to describe what it took for Honda to establish his Honda car company. He had the idea for a great new car engine design but not the resource or capitol. He knocked the doors of Toyota, the leading car manufacturer of the day only to find his idea rejected and he was disappointed. With great difficulty he built his own company to manufacture cars. Just before manufacturing was to go live, WWII shattered the company to pieces. He lost everything but not hope. He rebuilt the whole company only to lose it again to a merciless earthquake. Again, he lost everything but hope. One fine day he made headlines “Honda produces more cars than Toyota”. Can you imagine how sweet success would have tasted to him at that moment?

I am sure every one of us has tasted success. I have tasted success many times. May not be popular, may not be of this magnitude, nevertheless it tasted very sweet.

As a kid, I had a strong desire to perform in stage plays. I was in my fifth grade. I think it was a boring math class on a hot summer afternoon. There was a circular, which read “Students who are interested in participating in the drama to be staged on the school annual day function, please stay back after class hours for selection.” I got excited. Next minute, I got nervous. I mustered all my courage, which was kind of easy as I had the desire and went for the selection. The classroom was packed with 30 students and most of them were tensed like me. I took a corner seat and was chanting my prayers to get selected. My English teacher and Science teacher walked into the classroom in a relaxed and happy mood. They brought a book; I don’t remember what book it was. Anyway, the task was to read a random page in that book. The student who reads it clearly with the right stress and pause would be selected. Sounds easy? Believe me, it was not easy for me. I did not utter a single word and was obviously rejected. I was greatly disappointed. Next day, I went to the teachers and pleaded them to include me in the stage play. I told them about my desire. They politically answered “next year”. I waited till next year, but was not selected this time too. However, I improved a bit. This time I had the courage to read a page from that book. But not up to the standard. Third time… in seventh grade… not up to the standard. Fourth time… Eighth grade… not up to the standard. But lady luck shined on me this time. All these years my school principal had been watching me. He understood that I have the desire, but not the skill. Though I was not up to the standard, he selected me. He told me, why he selected me and what he expected from me. He groomed me in all respects and taught me patiently. He also gave an excellent tip. “Stand before the mirror and practice”. I listened to him earnestly and followed his advice sincerely. I practiced before the mirror day and night. There is no bigger punishment for me than seeing myself in the mirror ;). Finally the D-day came, the annual day function. I played the role of a corrupt politician and won the best actor award.

I tasted success!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Free Hit Counter