Mighty Thoughts

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Running is a passion - 4

Diet can help shed some weight, build your muscles etc. so your heart rate does not soar high. If someone knows the secret diet to increase stamina, he/she will be a millionaire by now :) I am not a millionaire or in other words diet expert. I can share what I did. I pretty much replaced cooking oil with olive oil where ever possible. I changed my snack habits to munch on nuts like edamame (best out there, available in Sams), pistachios, cashews etc. Chicken used to be the side dish before, now rice is the side and chicken is the main course. As vegetarians, you can replace chicken with dal, beans etc. I do not walk out of the grocery store without atleast one of these - avacado, broccoli, asparagus, cucumber. Since we all want to lose weight in this process, let's just be careful not to compensate the calories lost with eating.


When it comes to what to eat just before running, I don't think there is a silver bullet. What has worked best for me is empty stomach. I have seen lot of exp. runners take yogurt (good mix of proteins and carb) before the race. What is more important is to replenish the fluids and electrolytes lost after the run. Try to stick to water unless you run for more than an hour. If absolutely required, go with low calorie Gatorade. Here is the general rule - you weigh yourself before and after the run, the difference is weight is how much water you should intake. I never followed this, I trusted by thirst reflex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Free Hit Counter